Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Asian-esque Salmon with Greens


I wanted to make a special dinner in honor of the Eldest, who leaves tomorrow bright and early for Guadalajara, and the next stage of her Master's degree adventures. Stopped at Trader Joe's with a hankering for something Asian (I know--that's vague) and decided on some wild-caught and some farmed salmon. A package of bok choy, fresh spinach, and some shiitake mushrooms completed the picture.

At home, I put rice on to cook and then separately poached the salmon in 1/2 c. dry white wine and a few tsps. butter for about 10 minutes. Salt and pepper of course. I took the lid off after that to cook down the juices a bit.

 

Meanwhile, in the steamer I put green onions and chopped bok choy. After 15 minutes, I put spinach leaves in the top of the steamer (mine has two partitions) and cooked it for 10 more minutes. (Note to self: next time cook them both for 10 min. together--the bok choy was overcooked and gray.)
 
In the middle here, I sauteed shiitake mushrooms in butter.


I also made up a sauce of 1 part red wine vinegar to 1 part soy sauce to 1/4 part sesame oil. I added about a Tbsp. sesame seeds and a finely chopped green onion (green portion, reserved from earlier). Shook this all in a jar and set aside for the "plating" and serving.


Before I served it onto a plate, I started with a spoonful of salmon pan juices. Then, rice on one side, two kinds of salmon to compare (quite different!), two kinds of greens, and a spicy sauce on the rice. Mushrooms for those so inclined, which means more for me--since some people don't think they're food. 8^(

Both daughters at home seemed to like it, and the husband declared it, "Veddy tasty, dear." Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment