Saturday, October 16, 2010

Okonomiyaki (Say THAT three times, fast!)

 Because I love trying new foods, and found my curiosity piqued by someone's FB post earlier this week, I decided I'd lived too long never having heard of Japanese pizza. While I want to keep trying different versions of the recipe, this was quite tasty, and I had to stop at half a "pizza" to keep to a reasonable portion size.

Here's my rendition:

Okonomiyaki with Unagi

3 small Japanese eggplants, sliced
6-8 mushrooms, sliced
1/2 c. chopped green onion
1/2 c. finely shredded cabbages
1 c. flour
1 egg
~1 c. dashi, divided use (I used a powdered kind and reconstituted it)
1 T. mayo
Japanese pizza sauce (this was my least favorite taste sensation, but mixed in with everything, it was fine)
Seaweed flakes (ao-nori)
Furikake (a sesame seed seasoning that I've used for sushi in the past)
4 oz. prepared unagi (BBQed eel), chopped


Saute eggplant, mushrooms and green onions in a scant tsp. oil. Add 1/4 c. water or dashi and cover to cook eggplant to a nice soft consistency. Remove to bowl and wipe out skillet.

In a small bowl, place flour and make a well in the middle. Add egg and 1/2 c. dashi. Stir together just until it forms a dough. Mix in cabbage.

Heat skillet  to medium high and add another tsp. oil. Add dough, spreading out evenly in pan. It's nice if it's round, but, heck, it doesn't matter!

When browned on one side, probably 2-3 min., carefully flip over to cook again. Now place pancake (oops! pizza crust!) on a plate. Add sauteed vegetables.


In small jar, mix mayo with 1 Tbsp. dashi and shake well. Drizzle over pizza. Using bottled Japanese pizza sauce, do the same thing in the other direction. Sprinkle with ao-nori flakes and furikake (sesame seeds and seaweed), to taste. Top with chopped unagi.




Cut into wedges or just dig in.

No comments:

Post a Comment